Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Potty Question

Randy and I are starting to contemplate potty training our two year old, Nathan. He is not quite ready, but it shouldn't be too much longer. I hope by the end of the year it will be done, but no worries if it is not. Recently we realized that we have slightly different terminology for what you do in the bathroom. I didn't realizes this until after Jacob was potty trained and he kept using the word the wrong way, then I heard Randy use it that way and knew where Jacob got it. I say "potty" is another word for toilet, and a general term for anything you have to do on the toilet, and pee pee and poop are more specific. Randy says "potty" means pee pee, he does not use the word pee pee. I know it is not a big deal, but neither of us can comprehend how the other can think the way they do. And we are both unwilling to change. I guess that is because we have been saying it the way we do for pretty much all our lives. So, we want to know, who is right? What do you guys think? We would appreciate some comments. I am wondering if this is a Utah thing, or a Wardle thing. I am pretty sure that everyone who was potty trained by the same person he was says it the same way. Which brings me to another question, Is it a "pillow slip" or a "pillow case"?

6 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

Pillow case. Of course. In your defense Leslie....the origin of the word potty probably came from Pot which is short for toilet. So looking at it that way...you are right. Going "potty" would mean going to the pot or toilet. You would have to be more specific from there I guess.

Dan said...

Pillow case. A pillow slip is when you drool a lot during the night and your head "slips" off the pillow, making you whip your head back suddenly and grunt, which wakes up everyone else in the room.

Of course, a pillow case is what Private Investigators call a case that looks like it'll be easy.

As for "potty", I don't see calling a kid "potty-trained" if the kid is only 50% competent at using the potty (another word for toilet). I guess a kid could be #1 proficient while still having hangups with #2. If you stick to the numbers there won't be any disagreement about what's being done.

(On a side note, I always thought it would be more efficient in school to raise your hand showing (in fingers) what you planned to do when you asked for permission to go to the bathroom. That way the teacher would know how long to expect you to take.)

Erika W said...

It is a pillow case. As for the potty question, Jason uses the same terminology as Randy, and I use the same terminology as you. So explain to me why my kids say "potty" for pee and "poop" for poop. They don't really say "pee pee" unless talking about their anatomy, which we refer to as such. I am the one who potty trained them for the most part, but they picked up his lingo. Where's the justice?

Bonnie said...

you're right and it's pillow case :)

Stat Aggie said...

I am pretty sure that potty refers to the #1 deal. But is also refers to the toilet. Really when my kids go 'potty', I don't really want any details as to what they are refering to. And anyone else for that matter so long as they are taking care of business somewhere away from me.
Speaking of that, has anyone reflected on just how gross it is to have public toilets where you have someone you work with, or a complete stranger right next to you separated only by a flimsy wall that doesn't go to the ground? The smell is terrible, not to mention the sound.
Sorry, I digress.

Julie said...

Pillow case for sure. You are not alone in this dillema about "the potty". I miss you already!