Friday, January 15, 2010

A personal question

Okay, so I have kind of a personal question, I need some advice from my friends. I am considering getting an IUD at my doctors appointment next week, but for some reason I am really nervous about it. At this point in my life I do not want any more babies, but I want to reserve the right to change my mind, so I don't want anything permanent. I have always just taken the pill, but that seems too temporary and there is too much possibility of error. The IUD seems like a good, hassle free alternative. But, is it really? I don't know much about it except what I read in the pamphlet the doctor gave me. So, if any of you have had one I want to know if you liked it or not. Any problems with it? My six week appointment is next Thursday, I need to decide by then what I am going to do. I would appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks.

4 comments:

Kristin Sokol said...

My friend Angela got her Irish twins using an IUD, but I'm sure she was an outlier. People get pregnant on the pill sometimes too.

Heather had one and said it made her crazy moody and emotional. She ended up pulling it out (on her own, you go girl). But everyone reacts differently.

Carissa Poyfair said...

I have an IUD, the Mirena one, and I love it. I spotted for about 4-6 weeks, but haven't had a period since, and that was April when I got it. There is a small amount of hormone released, but NOTHING like the pill and I love that there are no pills to remember. I don't know about the other IUDs, but my friend tried a couple and liked Mirena the best too. Good luck!

Unknown said...

I've heard nothing but positives from women about their IUD's.

I had a copper one for a while and I never had any problems with it. I react badly to even the tiniest amount of hormones, so it was a good choice for me. You will cramp a bit more at first. I never felt it and it didn't hurt going in or coming out.

PS. I'm glad you're feeling better. I had my appendix out last year. It was a cakewalk compared to delivering a baby. I was back to running within 2 weeks, but then the DR. said moms usually recover from that thing really quickly.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE mine. I have the merina. I was a little hesitant as well, but because it has a small amount of hormones plus it irritates your uterus so you are supposedly double protected. I too bled for 3 weeks straight, and now just spot for my periods, which is heavenly, considering i had 10 day heavy periods before. My friends' embedded in her uterus, so she had to have a little surgery to get it out and then miscarried and then had a successful pregnancy, so there is a chance of infertility, but I want to be done with kids, so I thought that chance was okay for me. I love it. No stress, no remembering, and yet in 4 years if i want another kid I have the chance. Everyone loves them that I talk to.